agg changes

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 28 16:50:35 EDT 2007

On 8/28/07, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us> wrote:

> I think there will be a number of AGG specific changes we might want to
> look at. Arrowheads are one
> other example. I can extend styles for 5.2 if we desire to do that.

as well as a few 'native' symbols maybe, without the need to specify them
explicitely in the mapfile / symbols.sym?

Cap/join are only used for cartolines (that I could see) so if that option
> were to go away they could too.
> With AGG there's really no reason to use 'em.

they can be used in agg too... miter and bevel joins could be usefull, as
well as butt and square caps... maybe not a used/usefull enough feature to
support though, I don't know about that

Since the AGG support is so strong I would like to consider removing
> non-paletted support for GD
> altogether, that is no RGB or RGBA GD drivers. That would really simplify
> life and provide the most
> consistent output in each case. We'd be left with:
>
>   - RGB/RGBA coming from AGG
>   - 256 color output from GD or AGG with a palette or quantization enabled
>

> Each library would be used for what it does best. Perhaps too radical?

perhaps too radical I think... I'd prefer effort going into having renderers
presenting a common interface to mapserver, but that's  maybe further off...

Steve