Last call for 5.0.0 bug fixes, really!

Thu Aug 30 13:22:29 EDT 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> The bugs are coming over and over and we can never get rid of that.

There will always be new bugs, so if we wait until the pipe is
completely empty then we'll never release. My email was not referring to
not fixing whatever critical issue we may find only next week. I was
alluding to 45+ open tickets, the majority of which have been sitting in
Trac for several weeks.

Basically I am reminding everyone that the deadline for trying to
cleanup the list of bugs is not September 12th, it was orginally this
week and has been pushed to next Tuesday.

> Did you mean we should not fix any bugs as of the release candidate or
> we should call for a vote if any of them seems critical and kinda
> trivial to fix.

If critical issue are found we'll fix them of course.

> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-34/
>
> Seems it does not mention the expected policy in that phase.

The definition of Release Candidate in RFC-34 implies it when it says
"If any problems are found and fixed, a new release candidate is issued."

This means that if you wait to fix your known bugs until after the
release candidate then you will force another release candidate. And if
this goes on forever then we'll never be able to release... hence this
"last call" email this morning.

If a critical issue is found after the release candidate then we need to
address it of course and we can be flexible on whether we issue another
release candidate or not... but at a minimum the previously know issues
need to be addressed or deferred *before* the RC.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/