MapServer Sponsorship

Thu Aug 30 16:44:18 EDT 2007

I am generally very supportive of the idea of sponsorship. I think the 5.0 release really
brings a host of new functionality to the software and that users and potential
sponsors will be very excited.  So it becomes an excellent time to capitalize on the
momentum of a new release.

My preference would be to fund folks that have already invested themselves heavily
in the project. I'm not referring to myself but rather to others that make a living doing
this stuff. I think it is extremely important to support companies like MapGears, DMSG and
the other consultants contributing to MapServer.  The more successful they are the better
off MapServer is in the long run.

I would not be opposed to the modestly paid maintainer approach either if the investment
above isn't feasible or if there are extra dollars. I think the project would benefit big time
with some full time or nearly full time staff. Look at the pace of change in the last 6 weeks
with 5.0. It would be fantastic to be able to maintain that energy. Paying someone is the
best way to make sure that happens.

Steve