Performance transparency

Wed Dec 19 13:31:16 EST 2007

Hi Johan: I've never quantified the performance hit but it is certainly expected. Layer-level transparency works like this:

  - a temporary image is created to render the transparent layer into, it is initialized to be completely transparent
  - rendering proceeds as normal in the temp image
  - the temp image is then "merged" into the base image, so for every non-transparent pixel in the temp image alpha blending is done and the base image pixel is modified
  - the temporary image is discarded

So, the processing time will increase with 1) image size and 2) vector layer density.

There are plans to support feature-level transparency but it won't work in all cases so layer level transparency will remain an option.

So, the results you are seeing are expected although I can't say if double is too much or not.

Steve

>>> On 12/19/2007 at 8:49 AM, in message
<D93CFEAA72FA764885CC1FDA94A1D89C035462F2 at WMRI000166.corp.wmdata.net>, Hallgren