Using MapServer on EMT64 system?

Jaakko Kähkönen jaakko.kahkonen at FGI.FI
Tue Feb 13 15:37:02 EST 2007

Dear developers,

I'm trying to figure out why I get strange phenomenona when using
ka-Map-1.0, PHP and Apache on my hardware. I get everything working ok,
but only for a while. After some very active browsing and panning
sessions with ka-Map I start to get "(9)Bad file descriptor:
core_output_filter: writing data to the network" messages to Apache's
error log.

After that ka-Map still works, but, for example, some tiles might be
missing, and reloading the application loses at least a part of its
configurations. If I open init.php page, nothing appears. It has
something to do with that Apache's error message. Restarting Apache
helps for a while.

Could this be a hardware/software issue? I'm currently running this
software combination on CELSIUS R640 (x86_64 Dual Core Intel(R) Xeon(R)
CPU 5150  @ 2.66GHz) with 8G memory on the Gentoo Linux platform. All
except MapServer is built from a source using Gentoo's package
management system. MapServer is also built from the source, but without
the package management system. The system is up to date (a fresh updated
installation).

I know MapServer has now masked MapServer-4.10.0 package for a Gentoo
x86 platform, I even unmasked (with amd64 keyword) and tried it, but the
results were same as compiling MapServer directly from the source.

I'm just an user who likes to build, install and configure everything
from a source (like a child who builds a house using legos) and get
things to work. Now some of my legos are missing. I don't even know
where the problem is. How could I locate it?

--
Jaakko