Add shapeObj.DouglasPeuckerSimplifier() in MapScript?

Fri Feb 23 18:57:27 EST 2007

The API (that I knew about) is already exposed via mapscript. That
generalization function
is new to me. Easy enough to add to mapgeos.c and then mapscript.

Exposing it as a layer processing option is another matter and is a
good fit for
Tamas data adapter RFC. Note that I translated the Peucker algorithm
from ESRI Avenue
to MapScript (in perl) years ago (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/community/scripts).

Steve

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> We have a need to simplify (generalize) some shapefiles and we'll
> probably do that by hacking a local copy of MapScript to add a
> shapeObj.DouglasPeuckerSimplifier() that calls GEOS'
> DouglasPeuckerSimplifier() function.
>
> Should we consider integrating this new method in MapServer for 5.0?
> realize that generalizing data is a bit off-topic for MapServer, I'm

> sending this to find out whether others think this belongs in
MapServer
> or not.
>
> Daniel

I think that exposing GEOS api via mapscript makes sense. A big part of

working with mapserver is being able to prep the data that you will
ultimately serve. I think mapscript is a great way to do this. People
that are already working with mapserver/mapscript could use it to do a

variety of tasks in this area without having to download and learn
other
tools. I do not think exposing these apis in mapscript should impose a

lot of additional baggage on mapserver other than documenting them.

The other option might be to look at adding it to ogr or looking at a
separate project to focused on building an opensource variant of
something like fme, which is probably outside the scope of your
immediate needs, but might be an interesting project none the less.

-Steve W