Motion to move Feature Freeze to July 23rd

Mon Jul 9 10:37:07 EDT 2007

MapServer PSC,

(Please read on, a motion follows at the end of this email)

Today is our agreed feature freeze date for the 5.0 release. After the
feature freeze we enter the 5.0 release cycle (betas, etc.) and only bug
fixes can be committed to SVN but no new features or significant changes
are allowed.

We had a quick chat about this on IRC this morning and it seems that I'm
not the only one who feels that we are not ready for the feature freeze.
I have a few items left on my list that I could not complete in time but
could delay until post 5.0. However, there are at least 3 significant
items that have not been resolved yet and that it would be nice to see
resolved for 5.0:

1- AGG: The code is in SVN but we still haven't seen a RFC for this. The
consensus this morning on IRC was that a RFC is required ASAP and some
changes may be required in light of the comments that come out of the
RFC. This cannot happen after the feature freeze as this may involve
non-trivial changes to the code.

2- Query result caching: have we reached consensus yet? The 2 main
options on the table are (1) RFC-22a and (2) the extension of the
resultCacheMemberObj to carry a copy of the shape. It would be really
nice to resolve this double-pass query issue for 5.0.

3- Semi-dynamic allocations of layers, styles and classes: was on my
list for 5.0 but somehow I had assumed that RFC-24 had taken care of
this already, I checked the code and re-read RFC-24 last week and
realized that it was not planning to address this issue. This is another
very nice to have for 5.0.

In light of this, it was decided on IRC to make the following motion:

** MOTION:
To push the Feature Freeze date to July 23rd to allow (at least) the
three items listed above to be completed before the feature freeze.
**

Note that in order to increase our chances of making the new feature
freeze date, we should plan a IRC meeting and appoint a release manager
as soon as possible (ideally this week).

I start the vote with a +1

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/