msSetup() in mapserv.c and shp2img.c

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at DMSOLUTIONS.CA
Mon Jul 9 15:10:42 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Steve Lime wrote:
>> Is there any reason NOT to call msSetup and msCleanup though? GEOS,
>> for example requires
>> the geometry factory be initialized and that (at the moment) is in
>> msSetup. I believe Assefa ran
>> into that problem while extending os OGC filter support. He must be
>> calling them somewhere.

I did end up calling the msGEOSSetup just before calling the geos query
functions (msGEOSXXXX). I guess if we do not need it for geos 3.x, I
could leave it as is and remove it when we are all using the 3.x version.

> Steve,
>
> Well, I'd say the main reason to not call msSetup() in mapserv
> and shp2img is to ensure we haven't developed a requirement for it.
> On the other hand, if it is now a requirement, we should make sure we
> do it everywhere.
>
> BTW, I think GEOS is now (geos 3.x) self initializing.  So we only
> need to call msGEOSSetup() if we want to install our own error
> handlers.
>
> Best regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst