Call for vote on MS-RFC-17: Dynamic allocation of symbols, layers, etc.

Fri Jul 13 19:56:53 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I would like to call for a vote to adopt MS-RFC-17 Dynamic Allocation of
> layers, styles, classes and symbols for implementation in MapServer 5.0:
>
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-17
>
> I open the vote with my +1.
>
> Note: Based on feedback from Frank and Umberto, it doesn't seem that the
> potential backwards compatibility issue related to bypassing the
> insert/add methods in SWIG MapScript is still current, so I have moved
> this item out of the "backwards compatibility section" of RFC-17.
> However I kept it for reference in the "Questions from the review
> period" at the end of the RFC.
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

Reviewing RFC-17, I have a question. You reference code like:

int numsymbols;
int maxsymbols;
symbolObj **symbol;

Are these globals, or should they be references to variables in the map
object so that each map object keeps its own lists of symbols. Likewise
for the other dynamic arrays.

-Steve W