Documenting the breaking changes

Wed Jun 6 00:25:40 EDT 2007

I think the policy belongs in some sort of a committer guidelines document. RFC 7
details what we have so far, see http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-7.

That document should be revised to refer to recent moves to trac and svn, with references
to TSC changed to PSC. Might also add a section on licensing- don't commit code you are
not authorized to, code takes on the MapServer License, and so on.

Any reason why an RFC like that couldn't undergo periodic update?

Steve

>>> Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at GMAIL.COM> 06/05/07 2:45 PM >>>
I can accept the suggestion to have a primary location but someone
should create the skeleton document ready to fill. In my understanding
if we would like to publish the document via the mapserver site we
should continue to use the reStructured text format. If we would
rather use the mapserver trac for this purpose we should probably use
a wiki page instead. Anyway I would keep the older versions somewhere
available for a later review of the folks.

I'm also curious about the practical side of this question that is:
How can we ensure that all of the backward incompatible changes will
be documented? Shouldn't we set up a policy to document the change
right after committing into the SVN trunk? Such as we use the
HISTORY.TXT at the moment.

Best regards,

Tamas