[Fwd: [OpenLayers-Users] GeoJSON]

Wed Jun 6 16:02:11 EDT 2007

Has there been any thoughts or interest on supporting GeoJSON?
This has significantly less overhead than WFS when working with web
clients like openLayers.

-Steve W.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [OpenLayers-Users] GeoJSON
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:33:10 -0600
From: Tim Schaub <noreply at geocartic.com>
To: users at openlayers.org
<20070604151856.GA16513 at metacarta.com>
<7DC9B1A3BB614E988901A4B9503126E2 at jackey>
<20070605042919.GC18813 at metacarta.com>
<6C1785895B3148BD9475804D9B0BDC69 at jackey>
<20070606015150.GA23365 at metacarta.com>
<C00581BE24C442659500042411A7D800 at jackey>	<46670796.4020301 at swoodbridge.com>

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Isn't Tim or someone else working on GeoJSON to give an alternative to
> WFS that does not have the XML parsing and overhead? I would think that
> this might be a good alternative. If this is really happening, then we
> might want to ping the mapserver list about support GeoJSON in the 5.0
> release.
>
> -Steve W

I think we're close to an agreed upon specification for GeoJSON.
http://wiki.geojson.org/GeoJSON_1.0_RC_1

You can take a look at WKT/GML/GeoJSON side by side (sort of) in this demo
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/xml/examples/vector-formats.html

FeatureServer will deal in GeoJSON.  I'm guessing GeoServer will as
well.  It would be cool to get MapServer in on it.

Tim