MS RFC 22a: Feature cache for long running processes and query processing (update)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 26 19:17:43 EDT 2007

2007/6/26, Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us>:
> Re: 2), yes, I like the idea of geometry expressions. The expression syntax probably could
> be extended to operate on a shape (e.g. buffer(centroid(this), 10)). Don't know how well
> that fits with the nested layer concept though. It would probably make more sense as a
> single layer parameter, e.g.:
>
>  GEOPROCESS 'buffer(centroid(this), 10)'

Steve,

Since I'm also impressed by the idea I'll be trying to implement a
simple evaluator for the geometry expressions. May I consider we'll
either restrict to the geometry objects to shapeObj-s or introduce a
shapefrompoint style type converters in addition? However I'm not
totally sure how the existing buffer operation works with the point
shapes.

I'm also confused about the various implementations of the same
operations along with mapserver (like msGEOSBuffer, bufferPolyline)
which ones should be used in a particular case?

Best regards,

Tamas