Conversion of mapogr.cpp to use OGR C API

Thu Mar 29 18:13:22 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Oh dear - this is messy.  I do believe you will need to add C wrappers for
> some of the style stuff in GDAL/OGR, and that will go into GDAL 1.5.0 which
> won't even be released till circa August.   I don't think it is prudent to
> require MapServer 5 users to require GDAL 1.5.0.
>
> Perhaps you should leave the file as mapogr.cpp, and use conditional
> compilation based on the GDAL version in the bits of style stuff that
> have a problem.  Keep using the C++ API if GDAL version is less than 1.5.
>
> That way mapserver benefits from the changes as GDAL 1.5 becomes widely
> deployed, but there is no negative implications for users of older
> GDAL versions.

Good point and good suggestion. That's what I'll do.

> The downside is a bunch of cruft in mapogr.cpp for a while, and that we
> don't get rid of the need for C++ compilation of this one module yet.

I'll do my best to make sure the code is clear and not too messy so that
it's easy to remove the old C++ code in a future MapServer release when
GDAL 1.5 is more widely deployed.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/