RFC 26 - MapServer Terminology Cleanup

Mon May 7 11:06:59 EDT 2007

Steve Lime wrote:
> Is there a way we could do this in the code without adding a new parameter? I'm
> thinking probably not since you can use layers with WxS service parameters defined
> with the CGI or MapScript... So, I would propose recognizing the template or a queryable
> parameter.

What if someone sets TEMPLATE "something.html" and also sets QUERYABLE
FALSE. With what you propose the QUERYABLE setting would be ignored and
the layer would still be queryable, right? That would be creating
another source of confusion. I think if we add a QUERYABLE TRUE/FALSE
setting then TEMPLATE should be treated as a simple parameter and
queryability should be determined only by the QUERYABLE setting.

That's just my opinion, let's see what others think.

> Since we have a function like msIsLayerQueryable that should be easy
> enough.

I think there's more to do than just updating msIsLayerQueryable().
First there is the class by class queryability that is not handled by
msIsLayerQueryable(). I also did a quick check and there is lots of code
that checks the layer and class template values directly and would need
to be updated. There's also some code (mapwfs.c) that sets dummy
template values that we could finally get rid of. I could take care of
the implementation if you want.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/