COLORITEM & kin

Thu May 10 13:13:23 EDT 2007

Attila Csipa wrote:
>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-19
>
> The COLOR is not mentioned explicitly but it seems to be one rare ones not
> fitting the usual binding scenarion as it is almost the only one that has
> multiple parameters. Can there be multiple bindings ? Now you have:
>
> COLOR [r] [g] [b]
>
> if you translate this into the logic of RFC19 does this mean it would have
> three separate bindings for the colour components (items r, g and b), or
> would it still be a single binding that encompasses all three values (like a
> 0xRRGGBB(AA) number) ? This especially gets tricky if we are operating with
> PC256 images, should we as Frank asked even use values, or would some sort of
> mapping be more appropriate ?

You're correct that RFC-19 is not clear on which parameters will be
mapped. I think this should be corrected in the RFC and it should
explicitly list all parameters that are mappable and how they operate.

I had the same question and asked not long ago on this list about
mapping of colors and Steve confirmed that this would be supported as
well. However I had assumed that COLOR would map to a single field and
not to 3 fields. Since there are multiple possible ways to do the
mapping that's one more reason to update the RFC to better specify how
colors will be mapped.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/