MS-RFC-35 - Solving the WMS STYLES parameter issue

Fri Nov 2 10:22:23 EDT 2007

MapServer Dev's,

I have updated MS-RFC-35
(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-35) based on what I
proposed in the exchange we had on the initial RFC draft from Frank a
little while ago and which seemed to be an acceptable compromise:

"I'd be more in favor of calling the options "pedantic" (with its
negative connotation) and "permissive", with permissive being the
default, and for the time being stating in the RFC that STYLES is the
only parameter that changes behavior in permissive mode... and that
adding more exceptions in the permissive mode should not be taken
lightly as this encourages misuse of the specs and bloats the code with
unnecessary exceptions."

Can you please review the RFC and comment and/or tell us if the new
approach sounds acceptable to you?

If we can have consensus on this issue then we could vote to adopt the
RFC, implement the fix and try to release 5.0.1 in the next week or so.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/