MS-RFC-35 - Solving the WMS STYLES parameter issue

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Fri Nov 2 10:40:13 EDT 2007

> MapServer Dev's,
>
> I have updated MS-RFC-35
> (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-35)
> based on what I proposed in the exchange we had on the
> initial RFC draft from Frank a little while ago and which
> seemed to be an acceptable compromise:
>
> "I'd be more in favor of calling the options "pedantic" (with
> its negative connotation) and "permissive", with permissive
> being the default, and for the time being stating in the RFC
> that STYLES is the only parameter that changes behavior in
> permissive mode... and that adding more exceptions in the
> permissive mode should not be taken lightly as this
> encourages misuse of the specs and bloats the code with
> unnecessary exceptions."
>
> Can you please review the RFC and comment and/or tell us if
> the new approach sounds acceptable to you?
>
> If we can have consensus on this issue then we could vote to
> adopt the RFC, implement the fix and try to release 5.0.1 in
> the next week or so.

I'm still soul searching with this one.  What is the driver behind this
change?  Can we have a list of WMS client software
packages that are having issues with this?

As a WMS client, not supporting STYLES= is just as severe as not passing
LAYERS, or REQUEST, etc. from a specification implementation point of
view.  Will the time come where we are lax on those as well?

..Tom