Motion to adopt MS-RFC-35 - Standards compliance enforcement

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Nov 9 09:58:48 EST 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
> Morissette <dmorissette at MAPGEARS.COM> wrote:
>> Since there have been no proposed changes to MS-RFC-35, I hereby motion
>> that we adopt "MS-RFC-35 - Standards Compliance Enforcement"
>>
>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-35/
>>
>> ...and I start with my +1.
>>
>> Once the RFC is adopted we can implement the fixes and release 5.0.1.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> If the vote is still on, and fwiw, I put forth -1 with the rationale(s) I have provided in earlier communications.

Tom,

As Daniel mentioned, this is a veto.  Explicitly or implicitly a veto
carries with it an obligation to carefully explain your position and to
recommend an alternate plan forward.

Should you have no plan other than leaving things the way they are,
I'd really appreciate your raising a motion to change the 4.10 behavior
to require STYLES= (a change that was already made without perhaps
sufficiently wide agreement) and see if that original change has the
support of the PSC.  If not, I'd suggest that the behavior be restored
to the 4.10 behavior on account of a substantial backward incompatibility
having been introduced without PSC agreement.

Note, I'm not the chair, so I can't really require this procedure.  It is
a suggestion based on my sense of the intent of the decision process.