Call for comments -RFC 39

Thu Nov 15 10:37:54 EST 2007

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have put together an RFC outlining changes that could be done to be
> able to support Named styles in WMS/SLD. I would appreciate your
> comments on it:
>
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-39
>
> Thanks

Assefa,

Thank you for a well written RFC. I have a couple of questions/comments.

When I think of "NamedStyles", I think of a section of the mapfile that
just has a bunch of STYLE blocks, that can be reused anywhere by
referencing there names. This make the STYLE object reusable via the
name reference. Also redefining a STYLE only needs to be done in one
place not N places, which greatly simplifies the mapfile maintenance.

The advantage of this is that it modularizes the mapfile and compresses
it greatly. It would be great to define a 13/11 red/white casement road
STYLE and then reference it multiple times in my mapfile via its name
for example.

Your proposal instead moves us in the opposite direction of adding more
text tags to the layers and making them more verbose and less
comprehensible.

Was thought given to anything similar to my description about? What
other implementations were considered and rejected? Why? if any.

Would the above idea be compatible with WMS/SLD issues you are trying to
solve or could it be adapted to this problem?

What are the levels of effort of these two implementations?

Thanks,
   -Steve W