Call for comments -RFC 39

Thu Nov 29 22:59:05 EST 2007

Then I guess we're facing a "better than nothing" decision. Which is ok by me
(I'm often function over form) with the option later of changing if warranted.

Steve

>>> Yewondwossen Assefa <yassefa at dmsolutions.ca> 11/29/07 1:23 PM >>>

  Thanks for the comments.

  You have mentioned several aspects of changes that need to occur to be
able to introduce a level above classes and also keep full backward
compatibly. I have not assessed all the changes needed and beside those
you mentioned, quickly going trough mapserver.h and doing a grep to see
where layer->classs/numclasses gives another aspect of the changes needed.

  I have no doubt that the theme concept is a better architecture. But I
find myself thinking that at the end of the day, the user would get the
same functionality either ways, (of course one being more intuitive),
there would be no risk of backward compatibility issues or major
disruptiveness in the MapServer architecture and I think this has also
merits and should be weighted against the "perfect" architecture.
  I also mentioned in earlier e-mail that there is nothing preventing us
from deprecating one way of doing this if/when the theme concept is
introduced. I put "if" because the idea of a higher level object on top
of the class object is absolutely not new and was briefly discussed when
I initially worked on the SLD support and realized the need of it, and
that was in 2003.  For some reason (possibly funding/time/demand ), It
was never pursued. This is not an indication that it will not be
implemented soon, but just to note that it could also take several years
before something is done.

I am not sure at this time if I will have time/funding to do changes
needed for the theme. I also think that this feels more like something
to be done for a major release with all other considerations such as
reviewing the way we approach styling, the use of a styling file, etc ...

  Best Regards,

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca