Parallelizing calls to msDrawLayer()

David Fuhry dfuhry at CS.KENT.EDU
Sat Oct 13 18:37:32 EDT 2007

Tamas,

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> David,
>
> I consider it would be reasonable to establish such mechanism only
> when fetching the data of the layers. Likewise currently the WMS/WFS
> layers are pre-downloaded in parallel before starting to draw the map.
> We should have a similar approach when fetching the other layers as
> well.

    Yes, I noticed that WMS/WFS layers are downloaded in parallel before
rendering begins.  And I agree, it would be advantageous to extend the
parallel-data-fetching paradigm to all layers.

    For non-WMS/WFS layers though, wouldn't it be a significant
disruption to the codebase to add lines 1 and 2 into msDrawMap()?

1. for i=1 to layers.length (in parallel)
2.   data[i] = fetch_data_for_layer(i)
3. for i=1 to layers.length (serially)
4.   msDrawLayer(data[i])

   ISTM that the data-fetching logic might be best left abstracted
beneath msDrawLayer().

> However pre drawing all of the layers and later copying the layers
> over the map image seems to be much less efficient.

Drawing n layers onto n imageObjs is no more expensive than drawing n
layers onto one imageObj, and the former can be parallelized across n
threads.
Although yes, I agree that composition (the "merge" step) will cost
something.
I'm entertaining the idea that the time saved by parallel fetching &
drawing might outweigh the cost of composition.

> When using the parallel fetching approach we should deal only with the
> drivers from the aspect of the thread safety issues.

I might be misunderstanding your point here, but... Rendering a layer
into an independent imageObj should be a pretty independent operation,
and could be made so if it's not now.  Glancing at the mapserver
thread-safety FAQ, it seems there are more unsafe & locked components
related to data-fetching drivers than there are for rendering.  Which
makes me wonder why you suggest parallelizing the data-fetching but not
the rendering.

Forgive me if I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here.  I'm aware
that non-reentrant functions don't rewrite themselves, and that critical
sections don't surround themselves with mutexes.  Surely though, it
ought not to be a tremendous amount amount of work to keep separate
layer-drawing operations from stepping on eachothers' toes?

Thanks,

Dave Fuhry