Parallelizing calls to msDrawLayer()

Sat Oct 13 19:17:50 EDT 2007

David Fuhry wrote:
> Tamas,

> Tamas Szekeres wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I consider it would be reasonable to establish such mechanism only
>> when fetching the data of the layers. Likewise currently the WMS/WFS
>> layers are pre-downloaded in parallel before starting to draw the map.
>> We should have a similar approach when fetching the other layers as
>> well.
>
>    Yes, I noticed that WMS/WFS layers are downloaded in parallel before
> rendering begins.  And I agree, it would be advantageous to extend the
> parallel-data-fetching paradigm to all layers.
>
>    For non-WMS/WFS layers though, wouldn't it be a significant
> disruption to the codebase to add lines 1 and 2 into msDrawMap()?
>
> 1. for i=1 to layers.length (in parallel)
> 2.   data[i] = fetch_data_for_layer(i)

David,

I'm not sure this is a good idea as it might require a huge amount on
memory to store all the pre-fetched data.

While in general I think mapserver could/should use more memory than it
does today if it would speed up rendering, I think some tests should be
done to see where the most bang for the buck is.

With shapefiles I have been about to get 4-5X performance boost (ie: the
ability to generate 4-5x more map draws/sec) by putting all the
shapefiles in a ramdisk, which eliminates all disk latency on fetching
data. This also has the benefit that it is shared by all instances of
mapserver that are running.

So if you do that, then the bottle neck is rendering and speeding up
rendering would be great.

-Steve W