MapServer 5.0 WMS, requiring styles...

Wed Oct 17 15:56:31 EDT 2007

We may be partly to blame. Since MapServer is relatively popular who
knows what folks used to test clients and since pre-5.0 versions of MapServer
were more forgiving it's possible that they thought they could get away with it.

Yes, they should have read the standard, but...

Steve

>>> Paul Spencer <pspencer at DMSOLUTIONS.CA> 10/17/07 2:41 PM >>>
Tom, I agree that the problem is in the client software, but the
point is that the users of Google Earth or ArcIMS will expect it to
just work because it is *WMS* and it will be difficult to explain to
them that the reason it doesn't work is the fault of their software.
They will think that it is MapServer that is broken ... and will say
that MapServer sucks because it doesn't work with Google Earth ...

The MapServer PSC needs to decide if they want to shut the door on
client software that misbehaves or not.

Cheers

Paul