MIME type image/wbmp

Tue Oct 23 09:52:26 EDT 2007

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:

> You're right; image/vnd.wap.wbmp seems to be the definitive way to
> define a wbmp MIME type.  I'm not sure of the history of image/wbmp in
> MapServer or how it got there, however.
>
> I also wonder on how much image/wbmp is used.  Would be interesting to
> hear other dev's thoughts here.

We probably didn't do much research before deciding to go with
image/wbmp ... we probably just assumed that it was the right MIME type
to use based on others (image/gif, image/jpeg, etc.).

I don't know how much WBMP is used today, or if at all via WMS, but it's
there and has been used in the past so I would not remove it unless we
really have to. I'd suggest we file a ticket about switching from
image/wbmp to image/vnd.wap.wbmp, with a pointer to the authoritative
resource that defines image/vnd.wap.wbmp, and then we could make the
change in MapServer. Ideally we'd make the change only in 5.2, but if we
really have to we could backport to 5.0.x.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/