vertex simplification

Sat Oct 27 20:55:02 EDT 2007

Tamas,

I don't think these two things are mutually exclusive. The fact is that
once you get the lines projected into pixel space there is still a need
to remove redundant vertices as Thomas has already identified because it
generates a significant speedup. I think Thomas should move forward on
that front regardless of other steps that might get taken.

Regarding adding douglas-peuker at the raster level, I think that the
jury is not in on that yet. The value of doing this would be because it
can speed up the rendering without a significant impact to the display
quality. I think Thomas needs to perform some test in this area and
report on the findings.

There are advantages to doing simplification at the source level and
potentially caching the source data, in that there is less data to move
into mapserver and less data to manipulate and this has some savings
that can be pretty big depending on  a lot of variables. But once that
data or any data is in pixel space there are a whole other set of
optimizations that can/need to be applied regardless of the source data
that can speed up specifically the rasterizing task and this is what
Thomas is looking at.

So we should get champions to move both fronts forward.

Best regards,
   -Steve