mapserver-5.0.0-rc2 scale issues

Sat Sep 15 23:35:37 EDT 2007

Howard Butler wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2007, at 4:36 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>>  I think these need to get resolved before release.
>
> I think it is too late, and this issue should wait until 5.0.1.  We have
> been in release mode for two months, and we've had six betas and two
> release candidates.  MapServer 5.0 is not going to be perfect, nor do we
> expect it will be.  Another complication is many folks are now in
> conference prep mode, and delaying to investigate this and fix it would
> delay the release until well after the conference.
>
> MapServer 5.0 is a *major* release, and it will have some growing pains,
> just like 4.0 did.  There will likely be a number of point releases
> along the way as stuff settles down.  Even though we have had the betas
> and release candidates, our testing pool is quite limited, especially
> for software like MapServer that so many people use in so many ways.
> Once 5.0 is released, the real testing will begin :)
>
> Howard

I can understand the sentiment and maybe that is what we should do, but
I think these issues need to be understood before we jump to that
conclusion.

I chatted on IRC with Thomas and he thinks he mangled
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/changeset/6746

so I know it breaks stuff with truetype symbols which means everyones
railroad lines for one and who knows what.

The scale issue is troublesome, because if you create a mapfile with a
minscale or maxscale they are not honored! This is going to be a real
source of confusion for people. No to mention that it is the basis of
all mapfiles.

If nothing else these issues need to be documented with the release and
we should be planning a date for 5.0.1 if these are getting pushed off.

-Steve W