[mapserver-dev] RFC: GMaps API for mapserv

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 10 16:07:09 EDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> Attached find an RFC for a new map generation mode for mapserv.cgi.
> Interested in feedback I am. Mmmm.

Paul,

This is very interesting. I would concur with Franks comments about
trying to not complicate mapserv.c any more than is required.

It seems that the meta-tiling and labeling issues will need to be
addressed eventually, so I think some discussion of how they would be
done from a design point of view should be undertaken. If these can not
be easily solved in this architecture then that might indicate a problem.

I think a nature question that OpenLayers users might ask is will this
work with open layers? Yes I know it is more focused on the Google-API
users, but will it work? would it provide any benefits that I don't
already have with other layer providers in OL. So just a paragraph
addressing this would be helpful regardless of the answers.

Do you need a section to discuss other ways to achieve this? Other
solutions that might be generally applicable or not that you looked at
and through out for one reason or another.

Great start on this Paul.

-Steve W