[mapserver-dev] RFC: GMaps API for mapserv

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 10 17:33:50 EDT 2008

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
>>  It seems that the meta-tiling and labeling issues will need to be addressed
>> eventually, so I think some discussion of how they would be done from a
>> design point of view should be undertaken. If these can not be easily solved
>> in this architecture then that might indicate a problem.
>
> Metatiling implies caching, since you'll necessarily be producing way
> more tiles for each request than you need, you should store the spares
> for the future. And I don't think we want to go there. At least, some
> folks don't want to go there.

Yes, I agree with the fact the metatiling is out of scope. I think the
point that I did not make so clear is that assuming someone wants to do
metatiling, say using some script or tilecache or whatever. Is there
anything in the implementation or design that would prevent one from
generating metatiles and chopping them up via a script and storing them
somewhere outside of mapserver? If yes, is removing that within the
scope of things or not?

-Steve