[mapserver-dev] RFC: GMaps API for mapserv

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 10 17:10:41 EDT 2008

On 10-Apr-08, at 5:33 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
>> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
>>> It seems that the meta-tiling and labeling issues will need to be
>>> addressed
>>> eventually, so I think some discussion of how they would be done
>>> from a
>>> design point of view should be undertaken. If these can not be
>>> easily solved
>>> in this architecture then that might indicate a problem.
>> Metatiling implies caching, since you'll necessarily be producing way
>> more tiles for each request than you need, you should store the
>> spares
>> for the future. And I don't think we want to go there. At least, some
>> folks don't want to go there.
>
> Yes, I agree with the fact the metatiling is out of scope. I think
> the point that I did not make so clear is that assuming someone
> wants to do metatiling, say using some script or tilecache or
> whatever. Is there anything in the implementation or design that
> would prevent one from generating metatiles and chopping them up via
> a script and storing them somewhere outside of mapserver? If yes, is
> removing that within the scope of things or not?

I think that you should do a couple of things differently in mode=gmap:

* Steve Lime just added a processing option to enable mapserver to
calculate label positions before features are clipped.  With PARTIALS
TRUE, this should eliminate the label problems to a large extent when
producing tiles since adjacent tiles should put the label in the same
place (relatively speaking) and labels should end up continuing nicely
across tile boundaries.  So this processing option and PARTIALS TRUE
could be forced on in this specific mode

* draw map tiles a bit bigger and trim the result to reduce edge
effects.

If you did this, with an apache module, meta tiles would be a thing of
the past - well maybe not, but it would go a long way to avoiding the
need for them.

Also, I think you should call it mode=tile :)

And ... +1!

Cheers

Paul

    Paul Spencer