[mapserver-dev] RFC: GMaps API for mapserv

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Apr 12 07:08:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 04:32:18PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> One last revision.  Note that there are now only two new parameters
> (tilemode, tile) and one new mode (tile). There is one magic word
> (tilemode=spheremerc) but another magic word (tilemode=longlat) could
> be added easily enough.  Chris assures me that GMap/VE/Yahoo/OSM all
> use the same spheremerc tiling scheme, so this one API should serve a
> multitude of front-ends easily enough.
>
> Thanks for your patience all.

ESRI calls it web mercator. That's a comment, not a complaint, but one
that might make sense to pull into our vocabulary? It depends on whether
we are more likely to get users from the Open Source or ESRI world
trying to do this. (I think the answer is "Open Source"; I would
probably stick with spherical mercator.)

Just mentioning.

Looks good, Paul: thanks for the effort.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta