[mapserver-dev] Tile Access API

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Thu Apr 17 09:28:01 EDT 2008

On Thursday 17 April 2008 15.01:52 Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > In my opinion, tiling requires caching in most cases
>
> Why?

Perhaps 'lends itself readily' would be more fitting to say than 'requires',
if the OP was referring to the the overhead of generating tiles
(larger-than-necessary map images, actually) if you don't have metatiles.
Caching would offset this drawback. I do not agree though that caching is
necessary in all scenarios or is the only benefit from tiles (although it IS
the most common use for them nowadays).