[mapserver-dev] Parameter for run-time substitution of values in mapfiles (e.g. for highlighting)?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:39:49 EDT 2008

Dear all,
I need to highlight a single or a group of POIs and found that MapServer CGI
has run-time substitution since version 4.0. This would allow to alter
portions of a mapfile based on data passed via a command line parameter (or
a CGI request in the case of MapServer). I fond a How-to here about this
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/runsub .

Does anyone know about the usage of this in mapserver?
Is there a better or alternate "usage pattern" for highlighting features
with MapServer (except choosing MapScript)?
Stefan