[mapserver-dev] RFC 44

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:02:32 EDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Comments appreciated, in particular regarding where in the lifecycle
> this should be inserted:

> MS RFC 44: Automatic Projection Configuration for Layers

Last fall, I wrote a similar RFC:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/rfc/ms-rfc-37.txt

A big difference between the two proposals is that RFC 37's does not
do automatic reprojection without the user saying they want it in the
PROJECTION block:

PROJECTION
     TYPE NATIVE
END

In that sense, RFC 37 provides the convenience of fetching the SRS for
you without changing MapServer's basic behavior about reprojecting
data for layers with no PROJECTION block.  Hopefully others will
comment, but I think changing that default behavior would be a hard
pill for some to swallow.  If there is support to change that
behavior, I think the RFC would need a

CONFIG "USE_OLD_LAYER_PROJECTION_RULES=TRUE"

parameter so that folks don't have to go back and edit ginormous
mapfiles and paste in PROJECTION blocks in every LAYER to prevent
MapServer for reprojecting things.

I would be in much stronger support of turning on automatic
reprojection in MapServer if the equivalency testing of SRS
definitions was foolproof enough.  /me goes to run UpdateGeometrySRID
yet again after another failed EPSG:4326 match by OGR ...

Howard