[mapserver-dev] "RFC 44: Restore URL modification of mapfilesto pre-5.0 levels" ready for review...

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Aug 27 00:19:38 EDT 2008

For 1, a good idea. I'll have to check to see what changes to the loadXXX functions
might be necessary since a mapObj may not be readily available when loading an
object.

2 is also a good idea I think. It would allow separation from the metadata structure
that folks often want to muck with remotely. However, we do support the xxx_validation_pattern
keys already for validation of runtime strings and qstring so we'd have to support that
method too (or modify the mapfile parsing to recognize those while parsing metadata and
stuff them in the other hash). We could shorten to just 'VALIDATION' perhaps.

I'll update the RFC and call for a vote if there are no other concerns.

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:
> Hi all: A proposal to expand the URL modification of mapfiles to pre-5.0 levels has been developed and can be reviewed at:
>
>   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-44/
>
> Please pass along any questions, comments or concerns. Thanks!

A few questionss/comments:

1- Should we make it possible to set the default validation pattern at
the map level and have it inherited by layers, as we do for some OWS
metadata entries? (e.g. connectiontype WMS/WFS proxy settings) That
would save lots of duplication in cases where a mapfile contains similar
layers and the same data validation pattern applies to all. The logic
would simply be: look for validation pattern in layer, if not found then
look for validation pattern at map level, if not found then no
modifications are allowed.

2- To address the concerns of metadata abuse and to reduce the length of
the validation pattern entries, what would you think of adding a
VALIDATIONPATTERN / END block that is a hashTable internally instead of
using metadata? e.g.

    LAYER
      VALIDATIONPATTERN
        'data' 'my pattern'