[mapserver-dev] Re: RFCs

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Dec 1 12:29:06 EST 2008

Nice stuff this conversion of the Doc's.

I'm wondering if now is the time to suggest this (or not :c).  Has any thought been given to the idea of integrating MapServer Doc's with other Frontend applications documentation?

I've used a few different MapServer Frontends in the past and the biggest stumbling block for new users is the documentation for MapServer and the Documentation for the front end being disconnected.  What applies to MapServer, and what applies to the frontend.

One thought I had early on, was to harvest the MapServer Doc's and add to them for the appropriate frontend.
on the surface, this seemed like a good approach, but I'm having second thoughts about it now.  Another aspect (or problem) was when someone wanted to try adding a front end to an existing MapServer Install, a Good separation of Doc's by versions would be something nice to add for this purpose, this could be as simple as building a snapshot before MapServer upgrades are released. A versioned release of the Doc's with the MapServer release would be a simple step in this direction.

I know this is all piddly stuff in the scheme of things, but making the Doc's easier to interpret helps out everything in the end.

bobb

On Nov 27, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Howard Butler wrote:

> All,
>
> This is a notice to let you know that all RFCs are to be edited from/
> within subversion, and not on the Plone site.  Additionally, while
> reviewing the RFCs and tweaking the ReStructured text, I noticed
> there were a number of them that had no status information, or did
> not state which version of the software they were implemented for.
> We probably need some sort of styling document describing the
> terminology and protocol for RFCs, but I'd hate to write an RFC on
> how to write an RFC ;)
>
> http://svn.osgeo.org/mapserver/trunk/docs/development/rfc/
>
> Howard

Here's 2.8 mb of MapServer documentation goodness :)

http://iowa.hobu.biz/MapServer.pdf

739 pages, doesn't have any TOC or indexes yet, but should give you an
idea where things are going.   After some consideration, I decided the
ability to cross reference the RFCs made having them in subversion
more valuable than having them in trac.

http://iowa.hobu.biz/msdocs/build/html/index.html still for HTML
version.