AW: [mapserver-dev] RFC49: mapfile simplifications and symbologyenhancements

Karsten Hoffmann khoffmann at igf.uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu Dec 4 06:58:06 EST 2008

Hi Thomas,

I’m not sure if I understand what you mean.

I tried your proposition with Mapserver 5.2. But all circles have the same
size (43 pixel):

LAYER
  NAME        population
  TYPE         POINT
  STATUS    default
  DATA         Lan_point.shp
  CLASS
    NAME 'Population'
    STYLE
        SYMBOL 'circle'
        SIZE [poptotal]
        MINSIZE 18
        MAXSIZE 43
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
        COLOR 0 0 255
    END
  END
END

The sizes of the circles should vary depending on the number of habitants. I
don’t want to preprocess the population data. At the moment I calculate the
sizes of the circles by myself and write them in a new field (pop_size) in
the attribute table.
The Style is then:

    STYLE
        SYMBOL 'circle'
        SIZE [pop_size]
        OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
        COLOR 0 0 255
    END

The population varies from around 5000 to 30000 habitants. The sizes of the
circles should vary from 18 to 43.

With a Chart-Layer it is very comfortable to define this:

PROCESSING "CHART_SIZE_RANGE=poptotal 18 43 5000 30000"

But I don’t want to have a pie chart with slices here just a simple filled
circle.

Best,
Karsten