[mapserver-dev] Mailing List Migration

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Feb 9 08:55:28 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 02:45:26PM +0100, thomas bonfort wrote:
> hi Frank (and Perry)
> thanks for taking this on
>
> could you possibly have the reply-to field of messages posted to the
> list contain the address of the list, and not the original poster.
> more than once I've just hit the "reply" instead of "reply to all" and
> had to reforward the message to the whole list (and not only the
> original poster). I don't know how this would be configured, but I see
> the osgeo-discuss is configured that way if you need to take a peek at
> the configs.

There is a wide disagreement about the 'best' setting for this option.
However, at the ery least, it seems clear that *changing* this setting
on a mailing list that has existed for a long time is a mistake: whether
users should be trained one way or the other, by the time they *are*
trained, changing it is the wrong way to go, because users already
expect certain behavior which they compensate for.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta