[MAPSERVER-DEV] Standardized source header

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 11 13:43:06 EST 2008

Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> What about just applying for approval or clarification from OSI.  It's
> clear that the MapServer license can be considered as redundant with the
> MIT license...  It might be that all that is needed is OSI recognizing
> this as the case and that by virtue of being redundant is also approved
> but classified as MIT-type license.
>
> Here's a link to OSI's license review process:
> http://www.opensource.org/approval
>
> The relevant section for MapServer is "Legacy Approval":
>

>      For Legacy Approval
>

>        By: License Steward or Interested Licensee
>
> Retroactive approval of historic/legacy licenses that have already been
> extensively used by an existing community, but have not previously been
> approved.
>
>    * Recommend which license proliferation category
>      <https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/help/proliferation> is appropriate
>    * Requires less justification than Approval of a new license

Perry,

My understanding is that OSI doesn't really like approving additional licenses
and given their lassitude I am doubtful if they would get around to an
analysis and statement on ours.

If we could get the university to agree to the more standard text then
I think we would not run into problems from other committers and then we
could change it.  What are the chances of the university agreeing now?

Another possibility is for us to refer the issue to Heather Meeker to
comment on whether the different text has significant legal implications.
If she says not, then I we could proceed on the basis that this is not
meaningfully different from the OSI approved MIT license and just
document the issue.

The key seems to be whether "worked derived from" is additionally
restrictive in any meaningful way.