[mapserver-dev] Mapserver 5.0.X breaks GetFeatureInfo in ArcGIS 9.2

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Sun Feb 17 10:34:33 EST 2008

Hi list,

we' ve got another case of where being a strict OGC WMS breaks
interoperability because of a WMS client "misbehaving".

To give you some background:
-in ArcGIS 9.1 GetFeatureInfo did not work since ArcGIS did not send the
required LAYERS parameter
-in ArcGIS 9.2 GetFeatureInfo worked as text/plain

Now it turns out that 9.2 does not work against Mapserver 5.0.X, since
it omits the FORMAT parameter in the request and Mapserver checks on
this. I must admit that I find it strange that this parameter is
required for GetFeatureInfo as it makes no sense at all for those requests.

Questions:
-does this need RFC-35 to get revived or can we agree on just leaving
out the check for FORMAT in the GetFeatureInfo request (and maybe hint
OGC at removing that as well)?
-does this warrant a 5.0.3 release?

Best regards,
Bart