[mapserver-dev] Mapserver 5.0.X breaks GetFeatureInfo in ArcGIS 9.2

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Feb 17 11:14:05 EST 2008

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> we' ve got another case of where being a strict OGC WMS breaks
> interoperability because of a WMS client "misbehaving".
>
> To give you some background:
> -in ArcGIS 9.1 GetFeatureInfo did not work since ArcGIS did not send the
> required LAYERS parameter
> -in ArcGIS 9.2 GetFeatureInfo worked as text/plain
>
> Now it turns out that 9.2 does not work against Mapserver 5.0.X, since
> it omits the FORMAT parameter in the request and Mapserver checks on
> this. I must admit that I find it strange that this parameter is
> required for GetFeatureInfo as it makes no sense at all for those requests.
>
> Questions:
> -does this need RFC-35 to get revived or can we agree on just leaving
> out the check for FORMAT in the GetFeatureInfo request (and maybe hint
> OGC at removing that as well)?

Bart,

I'm ok with relaxing the checking.  If those interested in strict
compliance with the specification are not satisfied with this approach
then I think we would need to revisit RFC 35.

> -does this warrant a 5.0.3 release?

I would think we role this into 5.0 branch and we issue a 5.0.3 release
when we have enough fixes to justify it.  You can certainly deploy the changes
in your servers sooner than 5.0.3 is issued.