[mapserver-dev] Google Summer of Code 2008

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 28 21:12:13 EST 2008

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Thanks Frank,
>
> Do we have a wiki page for this? can someone create on if not.

Steve,

I thought an email has already gone around about this today.  The page is
at:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/MapServer_2008_SOC_Ideas

> 1) We discussed briefly the idea of do the raster based labelcache
> handling idea that I proposed a while back. If something more than this
> as an idea needs to be written up on this, I am happy to write it up.

Please do!

> 2) I would like to add the tilted perspective projection rendering mode
> to this list also. This generate a momentary flash of interest and a lot
> of ideas related to its implementation. I will try to collect them an
> summarize them in a ticket. Again if we need a writeup on this I would
> be happy to do an initial draft.

Please do.

Is this more than just mastering funky PROJ.4 parameters?  Google SoC
projects need to be software development oriented and scaled to fill a
substantial portion of a summer for a student.  A simple approach to this
task might take too *little* time.  A sophisticated approach might easily
be overwhelming.

But we can winnow things down a bit latter if some of the ideas don't
gel in a reasonable sensible form.