MapServer Application Design Questions

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Jan 23 07:12:12 EST 2008

Adrian -

If you are running a .NET/C# application, that application can - using
ServerXMLHttpRequest calls - make as many requests to a MapServer CGI as
you need to produce a single output page.

I am not suggesting that that's the best design for your application.
But you started with a very specific question about thread safety and
we're trying to back up to the broader question of application design
(hence the edit I made to the Subject line), because it seems like
that's what you are trying to accomplish.  If you'd like assistance with
that, then you'll need to really describe your application in detail.
Your last email with lists of layers, etc. was a good description of
your data (although you didn't talk about updates and/or update rates).
But you didn't, for example, describe the situation below.

There are many users here with expertise in many different sorts of
MapServer applications.  But we can't help if we only have little bits
of information, and if you only send detailed, specific requests for
"how to do it".  If you can take the time to really describe your
application then you will both be in the best position to get advice
from users on this list and we will be able to best use our time by
providing information that's really useful!

-          Ed

P.S. It also really helps to include the previous message history in
your replies, so we can all understand the context, and so users who
might now be reading this message (because they didn't know much about
thread safety but know a lot about application design) will know what's
going on - thanks.

Ed McNierney

Chief Mapmaker

Demand Media / TopoZone.com