tickets with no milestone

Wed Jan 23 15:01:57 EST 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:
>> If I check http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/roadmap, there shows open
>> tickets based on milestones.
>>
>> However, when I check http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/report/3, I see a
>> majority of tickets which are not assigned to any milestone (not even
>> FUTURE).  Should these be set to FUTURE?
>
> Tom,
>
> I've never been to clear on the meaning of the FUTURE milestone other than
> that it indicates we might like to do this but it isn't expected soon.  I'm
> not sure how much better that is then just having no milestone set.

I see the FUTURE milestone as meaning "someone has looked at this and
determined that it's a legit thing we ought to do at some point in the
future... just not sure when". To me this is different from no
milestone. I guess we should review all FUTURE tickets everytime we plan
a new release, but we don't take time to do that at the moment.

Perhaps developers should get in the habit of setting a milestone when
they look at a ticket so that tickets always show up under a proper
milestone (I try to do that as much as possible)... and then a ticket
with no milestone would simply mean that the ticket has not been looked
at yet?

The main problem I see at the moment is that tickets with no milestone
do not show up in Trac's Roadmap page and for this reason we may tend to
ignore them. I wonder if Trac can be configured to display the empty
milestone in that page as well? To solve this issue we could possibly
create a "notset" or "TBD" milestone and make it the default for all new
tickets (I just verified that this seems to be possible in the Trac
admin page).

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/