Is MapServer Thread-safe?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed Jan 23 15:31:00 EST 2008

Ed is totally on the mark here. There are very few applications that
REALLY, REALLY need mapscript. For most read-only applications, doing
your "logic" in PHP/ASP/Java, and then passing URLs back to mapserver
can give you everything you need.  Note that you can over-ride *any*
mapfile parameter you want via the CGI interface (see "Changing map
file parameters..." at http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/cgi/controls)
.  Running your mapserv as a fast-CGI enhances your ability to scale
as well.  For extra logic, serve your data layers out of a spatial
database, and use spatial SQL to answer the hard questions, and
Mapserver to render the answers.

P.