[mapserver-dev] Mapserver expected library locations (Windows builds)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:59:43 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to put together a mapserver development helper package
(kinda SDK) for various compilers and platforms. However I wouldn't
like to package all of the libraries with sources so as to keep the
package small enough that can be handled easily. However I don't see a
convenient location where the libs and the includes should be placed,
it seems like nmake.opt will expect the files mostly where it have
been generated by the packages. With regards to OGR for example:

# Setup OGR includes and libraries
!IFDEF OGR
OGR_INC = -I$(GDAL_DIR)/ogr/ogrsf_frmts -I$(GDAL_DIR)/ogr -I$(GDAL_DIR)/port
OGR_LIB = $(GDAL_DIR)/gdal_i.lib
!ENDIF

But the GDAL/OGR package does have a devinstall target which places
the files to the following locations
LIBDIR = $(GDAL_HOME)\lib
INCDIR = $(GDAL_HOME)\include

Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the files from a convenient
install location instead of the library dependent source locations?

Or we should allow to specify these locations externally?
like:

# Setup OGR includes and libraries
!IFDEF OGR
!IFNDEF OGR_INC
OGR_INC = -I$(GDAL_DIR)/ogr/ogrsf_frmts -I$(GDAL_DIR)/ogr -I$(GDAL_DIR)/port
OGR_LIB = $(GDAL_DIR)/gdal_i.lib
!ENDIF
!ENDIF

Any ideas?