[mapserver-dev] Support for the MapInfo style zoom layering option.

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jun 25 17:48:50 EDT 2008

I'm not sure that I like moving minscaledenom and mascaledenom into a
REQUIRES expression... the current approach with explicit keywords is
simple and intuitive to use and understand for new users... embedding
that into the REQUIRES expression will make a simple system more
powerful, but also more complicated. I think in this specific case I'd
be more in favor of new keywords to specify minmapwidth/maxmapwidth in
parallel with minscaledemom/maxscaledenom and let the users pick the one
they like.

Daniel

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> 2008/6/25 Steve Lime <Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us>:
>> If we went the way of using "REQUIRES" as a long term goal then I don't think it's worth adding parameters
>> with the intent of pulling them shortly. I think generalizing REQUIRES, with a custom parser as you mention
>> is the best solution. I think there is some leeway in syntax and we can talk about maintaining backwards
>> compatibility with respect to [layername].
>>
>> If your contract doesn't afford time to pursue the REQUIRES approach right now then perhaps a more
>> hackish, temporary solution would be to hijack minscaledenom and maxscaledenom and use a processing
>> directive to trigger the different interpretation.
>>

> Steve,
>
> I'm also in favour of this solution, and if it can be accepted by the
> user then I'll be trying to focus on msEvalContext and implement
> something inside, instead of adding new mapfile elements.
> I'll create another proposal with regards to my expected syntax in
> case if I have something working.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Tamas

Daniel Morissette