[mapserver-dev] Documentation updates

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Mar 6 08:55:41 EST 2008

Steve Lime wrote:
> Personally I'd favor one set of docs, with notes where applicable about version specific issues. If there are
> big changes in one area then perhaps it would be necessary to have a version specific document but that's
> relatively rare. Most things tend to be quite stable. Having a single "MapFile Reference" would be a lot
> easier to maintain. Just a thought...

Even with versioning, you'd still have a single "Mapfile Reference" doc
to maintain... the only difference is that at release time you freeze
and branch the current mapfile ref for the release and the trunk version
can be edited to contain new features for the next release.

That's as easy as it gets in my opinion. That's also the way things used
to work in the "blue" site and I think this something we lost when we
migrated to the Plone site. Having to flag specific paragraphs from the
docs with versions to which they apply is a mess to read and to maintain
in my opinion.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/