[mapserver-dev] Feedback required: plans for Downloadable Users Manual

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Mar 26 22:59:16 EDT 2008

I like the outline. I think the emphasis should be strong in the area of configuration
of an application and data.  Those topics are mostly platform agnostic and don't change
that much, so the document would be more stable and useful for everyone. I can't see
wasting a bunch of time with installation discussion- the focus should be on "use".

We need to chat about the demo I'm supposed to work up. I'm leaning towards a host
of snippets that could be references in tutorials, how-to's and reference guides. For example,
you'd have an application that just focuses on labeling parameters, another on scale(denom)
and yet another on symbology. My guess is between msautotest, DNR test suite, Perry's
tutorial, and the OWS workshop materials there's plenty of content. Would be nice
to hook the manual to it as well. Perhaps the code examples good be drawn directly from
it.

Steve

>>> Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca> 03/24/08 3:40 PM >>>
Hello dev team,

I about to dive into some funded work to create a MapServer
'downloadable user's manual', to be in pdf format.  I am thinking of
making a glossy version of the great work already done by David Fawcett
and Perry in the New Users manual and the MapServer 5.0 Tutorial
respectively, and of course pointing to the existing howtos/references.
   Below are some topics for the table of contents, please let me know
if you think something is missing or if I should change my focus.

Table of Contents
-----------------

Introduction
Getting Started