[mapserver-dev] Feedback required: plans for Downloadable Users Manual

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 27 00:37:13 EDT 2008

Jeff,

When I read this I thought it was a great idea. You seem to have
captured the essentials in your outline. Along the same idea that Steve
has suggested of having samples. I think it would be great to also
include a complete production sample mapfile like Bob Basques Googlish
mapfile maybe in an annotated form or maybe you have your own mapfile
that would work. This might be as an appendix. The reason for this is
because snippets are great to explain this or that feature without
getting distracted by all the details, but they sometimes loose more
global context. Ultimately we are supposed to be teach people to be able
to build a production mapfile so having one, will set an expectation of
what they should be thinking about when creating one. I have no idea if
Bob would be interested in contributing it for this, but giving a
complex real world reference can be handy and it it was published with
line numbers then it would be easy to refer to a block of lines in your
text when discussing a concept.

So if you take all these ideas :) you will be writing the Mapserver
Encyclopedia.

-Steve W