[mapserver-dev] Feedback required: plans for Downloadable Users Manual

Jeff McKenna jeffmckenna at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:57:58 EDT 2008

Daniel, comments below:

> Well, I'm not the one maintaining the manual, but my initial idea was to
> have it in a format that can be published on the web *and* converted to
> a downloadable PDF format. I thought it could have been written in the
> same ReStructuredText format as the rest of our docs and converted and
> packaged into a downloadable PDF using some ReST tools.

The manual is coming along nice.  (about 40 pages, with appendices 100)

I would love a magical script to produce the appendices.  It would be
nice if I could call a script to convert specific website docs into
nice formatted text for my document.

> The drawback of .odt files (or any word processor files) is that you
> cannot easily track changes between revisions in SVN and cannot easily
> merge changes if multiple people work on the same doc. It's just a
> binary blob that is committed to the repository.

I am aware of that.  I was just looking to back of my work, or maybe
someone might have wanted to see my progress, or add a section
etc...no worries man.  In the end I'll just upload the pdf to the
site.

> Just an opinion. I wonder what others think.

Maybe I can continue my work on the manual, for a 1.0 release of it,
and then all of your additions can be made for 2.0 ?

-jeff